Thursday, August 16, 2012

Impressive Roof – CCC “Best of Event” August 2012

This image was taken in Lyon Airport in France in 2009. I was visiting a cousin of mine from Australia who was working and living in Grenoble in France for a short spell.

I took about 30 odd photos of this roof from different angles, portrait format, landscape format etc. What really impressed me about this roof was the symmetry that could be achieved from all of the different angles. Also the shapes and patterns it formed. I was a bit worried that shooting up towards it all the time and the bright sky coming through I would not achieve the effect that I saw through the lens. It is amazing that all the 30 odd images that I have, I could use if I wished all of them as they all have a place in their own right with the exposure being OK, the shapes and the patterns also creating impact. To get the symmetry and the balance I have cropped in on the image to get the impact that I wanted to portray.

Impressive RoofIt was taken with the Nikon D700, which is a full frame camera with the 24-70, 2.8 lens at the focal length of 24 mm. Hand held, ISO 560, 1/15 sec. at F.11 on Aperture Priority. I chose to convert to Monochrome, which I do think has the stronger impact, albeit as taken it was quite monochromatic looking.

It has done well for me in National and International Salons and in an Architectural category has achieved a couple of COMs.

Evelyn Gibson 6* (FPSSA, EPSSA, AFIAP, ARPS)

No comments:

Post a Comment