Sunday, August 26, 2012

Cutting Edge

Time and place: I like to experiment with Altered Reality and keep every picture of interesting ideas from magazine, advertisements or the internet. Sometimes these pictures provide you with a concept that develops further into something else as you start planning and experimenting. I found this particular idea on the internet. I like this image because of the clean simple lines, but mostly because it makes you look twice before you realise what you are looking at.

Cutting EdgeThis photo was done in a home studio.

A plain sheet of white paper was used for the background. The lighting provided the soft grey colours and shadows. I used toy blocks under the paper to provide the height and angle of the cutlery.

Equipment and settings: I used a Nikon D5000 camera, an 18 to 200mm zoom lens and a tripod. Shutter speed was 1/200, Aperture was F32 and ISO was at 200. I used a studio light with a soft box.

Processing: I used Adobe Photoshop Elements 10. The basic processing done on this image was to crop for good composition, sharpen, saturation and contrast.

I cut off the edge of the fork by duplicating the colour of the paper using the “Clone” function.

I then duplicated a portion of the original image to create the end of the fork so that it appeared to be cut off. Here I used the “Transform/Perspective” function to create the impression that it was lying flat as well as the “Clone” function to blend the duplicated portion into the entire image.

Cornelia Niemand 4*

No comments:

Post a Comment