Saturday, March 15, 2014

XMas Lights

While travelling through Switzerland, I was very fortunate to be at the right place at the right time. We were in the city of Bern, and I was waiting for Anli to join me as she was at a business meeting. We arranged to meet at the square in front of the Bundeshaus, i.e. the Parliament building, at 20h00.

XMas lights HDWhile I was waiting the sun was setting, and I walked around, set up my tripod and took some photos. After a while, a crowd started gathering. I asked around, and a local lady explained to me that a show was about to start and that I should stay as it was very spectacular. I waited for a while and the show started. It was all in German, so I understood nothing, but the music and light show made up for that.

The Bundeshaus is a very old building with lots of character and textures. They used massive projectors to illuminate the building, and a story was projected onto the building. I took over 200 photos, and each one is different. The lighting changed often, with soldiers running around the building, the building filling up with water, you could see the water level rising in the windows, and then the building flooding. Many effects were created on the building, freezing over, on fire, painted in bright blue and red colour, it was just amazing! Everything done with projectors covering the whole building, in vivid detail! I just kept on taking photos, I have many excellent photos from that shoot. Minimal processing was done to the photos and I only had to remove a portion of a crane which was doing work behind the building.

Sometimes we do need lots of luck to get the right photos!

Gerry Steyn

No comments:

Post a Comment